Saturday, 16 February 2013

Pink pancakes, brown owls and speedy risotto

Shrove Tuesday this week, and, amazingly, the children wanted me to make my vegan pancakes rather than the normal kind. They ate them with banana, marshmallows, ice cream and Nutella. The recipe is here - no eggs, obviously - most of the ingredients you probably already have at home. It's taken from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Post Punk Kitchen blog which is full of amazing vegan recipes. If I'm ever invited over to yours for afternoon tea, please feel free to make me her raspberry truffle brownies and I'll be your friend forever.

Here's Rose enjoying her pancakes. You might notice that they're pink - I added food colouring instead of vanilla essence...



A new little person joined our family - my cousin's new baby girl Emily. I made her this room sign as a being-born gift.


I've also discovered a new way to make risotto this week, which is something I've never really managed to perfect. I can't believe I've been doing it the hard way all these years! This time I put 250g rice into a big pot with 2 pints veg stock, some roasted vegetables, and... left it in the oven at 180 degrees for half an hour, giving it a stir every five minutes or so. Then added a tablespoon of pesto once it was done - and everyone agreed it was the nicest risotto I've ever made (not hard, to be fair, as I've had some pretty dodgy attempts, but it did taste good). So easy - no more standing over a hot stove stirring risotto for me ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment